Saturday, April 7, 2012

Serving more than 101 people

We knew it would be a little busier than normal.

That is why I did not wear a dirndl that morning.

Part of the great part of running a German style breakfast, is the fact that if I do not want to wear the proscribed black and white, I have the option of wearing a Dirndl. Even better, I can borrow one from the GAI. But as beautiful as the Forrest green dress with gold and silver embroidery is, it is constricting. Better to wear black and white when I will need to run.

The other amazing part of my job is the people. I know, this is rather a repetitive meme in my posts, what can I say- I am blessed with good people. The GAI pretty much runs on volunteers. For example, there are only two employees to do all of the shopping, set-up, running, dishes and cleaning for our Breakfast. Do-able on a slow day, but way better with volunteers. (To give reference a slow day is about 35-45 people, and an average day is about 55 people).

Luckily we had a volunteer that day. L. is a long time volunteer, and super efficient, which turned out to be fantastic.

8:45 - Strudels were cooked, things were ready to go. Back-ups prepared.

8:55 - L. M. and I took traditional bet on how many guests for the day --- I believe L guessed around 80, I guessed 65, and M guessed 77-ish.

9:00 Breakfast opens

9:05 50 people are already in line

9:15 Back-ups already out...preparing new ones

10:00 Guests have already joked about our need for roller-skates with the constant in out of the kitchen.

10:05 Coffee Pot PANIC -- Yet another tureen is broken...sadly a late discovery in the game  ---        Contemplating re-enactments of office space with a coffee pot instead of fax machine

10:10 Scream as L. & M chase me through the kitchen flapping milk jugs - no matter how busy we need to be a little silly

10:30 worry about running out of bread.

10:30-12:00 --- all a blurry haze of cold cuts, eggs, strudels and coffee.

Chaos and Laughter aside, we soared past my personal goal of servign more than 101 people...with 131!


Update:
This past weekend we did it again with 112. I was chatting with one of the regular guests, remarking on my surprise and he said something along the lines of -

'The word is out...you will keep up being busy'

No comments:

Post a Comment